Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day Two: At Sea

I love the sound of that - Day Two: AT SEA! Almost as much as I love the sound of the sea itself. So tranquil, so pacific.

First, let me thank you for the comments. I'm logging on to the internet once a day - no constant email checking, no refdesk headlines hourly. But I can tell already that I will treasure the little links to family and dear friends when you take a second to write a line or two. Also, I guess it does answer my question . . . does a blog make a sound if noone logs on?

Monday was a grand day in a grand grand hotel - just happens to be a moving castle (where's Howl?) plowing through the ocean. And what a mighty ocean it is. How could someone hundreds of years ago, sailed away from home for a day and decided to keep on going, thought that there would ever be anything else but ocean and sky. I asked Bennett and he said, "the birds would give you a clue." Ah yes, I thought, but then I thought, what birds? Not a one in sight.

I love the decks, eleven levels accessible to us. Magnificient staircases everywhere. And lovely glass elevators. I walk down as many stairs as I can but ride back up. Vast open spaces on the decks and in the lounges, bars, library, emporium shops, nooks and crannies. As many people as are on board, there is always space to rest, relax, read, observe.

We took full advantage of the Aqua Spa. Early morning stretch class, then a massage for Bennett and step aerobics for me. And a manicure; my fingertips are looking sharp. Later in the day, we spent time together in the Persian Baths (steam room, herbal room, turkish bath, sauna, heated ceramic lounge bench), oooo la la. And went to Pilates too!

And yes, the food is everywhere. And so nicely done. So many choices and so many fun locations. After late afternoon Pilates, we stopped at the sushi bar for just a few pieces. And good the emphasis was on few, as returning to our room , we had canapes and fruit and tea awaiting us.

Best of the day were cocktails in the Martini Bar. Everyone but us was dressed to the absolute nines. It was formal night in the main restaurant (Captain's Night - Bennett and I skipped for two reasons - Bennett did not want to go formal and we both know we can have dinner any night with Captain Mac, the only Captain in our book). So we enjoyed seeing all the fancy dresses and tuxes as we listened to a jazz trio; then at the dinner hour, they all hustled off to the dining room and Bennett and I finished our martinis in solitude. Back to our royal suite for the best treat ever. Peter, our butler, brought us room service dinner. Not just any room service, mind you. Room service at our own dining table served by Peter, entering course by course to carry away the detritus and bring on the next course. Salad, crab louis, beef tournedos, pate, vegetables, chocolate. Did I mention the fresh flowers he delivers? Away from the dining room din, our terrace open to the ocean, Bennett and I together, who could ask for anything more.

One last observation. The ship's crew is indeed a global community. It is a treat to watch so many people from so many countries as they each perform the particular work function they have mastered. I've enjoyed hearing where they are from, and why they are working on a cruise ship. (Mostly: money from "six-month contracts" when they don't see home or family gives them the resources to support their families and then spend four months with them before returning to sea.)

Hey, the only gyp of the ship is that when it was advertised for the royal suite "computer in suite" what they meant was a dummy internet terminal with no connections for devices. Fine for writing blogs but we can't plug in the camera and upload photos! Ah well, you can read the words if you wish, imagine the sights, and I will come back to revise with photos when I return to reality.

Mal and Nat . . . we miss ya, babes!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds beyond AB FAB!!! The open sea right out your balcony door! Love the blog! - Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think this is just the start of your trip! Your descriptions are as luxurious and sybaritic as the experiences you are having. Sounds absolutely delightful, a true escape from the humdrum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's Peter from? And is he your dedicated butler, or do you have a succession of different ones? Are you trying a new cocktail every day...I found that an awesome treat on MY last spa vacation with, well, YOU!!! And sounds like too much exercise and not enough deck-chairing, sweetie!! Are there many children on the cruise or is it adults only? Will you be gambling? OOOOOOOOhhhhh, all so exciting!! LOVE YOU!! glynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so hating that we didn't save up and join you. It sounds like bliss to me!

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  5. too too too divine! sigh! A movable castle indeed. I am tingling just reading about it!
    speedy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get huge discount offers with free Nashville local printable coupons including Restaurants and much more other free printable coupons.

    ReplyDelete