Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day Eleven: At Sea

Out in the open waters again, only now we are in the open Caribbean waters. They are actually a wee bit choppier than the Pacific but for anyone who has been on choppy open seas, they are really not. It's just that the Pacific was like glass and today we have a few white caps. It all produces another grand relaxing day at sea which may not quite be as exciting for Dear Reader to enjoy but the writer enjoys it con mucho gusto.

A couple observations that I don't remember to make when I am busy accounting each day's adventures. One is this ship is so incredibly smooth. It pulls into and out of docks without tugs. It's as if the captain is parallel parking a car with wheels that can turn perpendicular to the curb. That may not be what is happening but he seems to have effortless control over the movement of the huge huge ship. In the Canal, each big cargo ship has a small tug hooked on behind it to ensure its proper movement throughout the Colubre Cut. Our cruise ship does not need the attached tug. At the narrowest points, however, a couple of tugs will come nudge our sides to make sure we steer clear.

Another observation is I have seen the true meaning of global community, flat earth, whatever. And that is communications towers everywhere. Even in the smallest locales, in Cabo San Lucas and Huatulco, there are at least two giant towers posted on a hilltop in the distance. Of course, all the guides (and everyone else) have mobile phones but somehow, it is seeing those towers immediately as you begin to pull in to dock that makes you realize that truly everyone is connected now.

Our lovely day at sea begins with stretch and some cardio and the Persian Garden baths. Then another bridge class with Sar. I had visions of Algebra II: the first day is thoroughly understandable, I have to begin to concentrate to get the second class, the third class is way over my head, and all of a sudden in class four I have NO idea what language they are speaking. But I do love to hear Sar and I love the oceanview and Bennett loves the class.

So next I'm off to reflexology to forget my algebra, oops, bridge shortcomings. I have never done reflexology before, mostly because I am unsure about its basic concept - that your feet have a point for every organ and system in your body and they can diagnose and treat your body through reflexology. Me, I just want a great foot massage. And that is what Calin from Romania gives me. But it is interesting because every point that "hurts" when he presses is associated with something I have a little trouble with and every point that I cannot feel is an organ or system that has not bothered me. At the end, my feet feel better, I feel better, and Calin tells me I need to drink a lot more water. Hey, who does not tell me that.

We walk the ship and recline and walk and recline. Then I insist Bennett go to the bridge game session. I am not going to attempt that! But I know he will enjoy it. When I go pick him up after nearly two hours of bridge, I see seven tables and Bennett is partners with Sar! They are playing two Japanese men for the last three hands. But it is an old-fashioned bridge party with the tables playing pre-set hands and moving from table to table. So they have played everyone and Bennett and Sar have been partners the whole time.

Ah, before I picked him up, I was in the suite when Peter the Butler came by with afternoon tea. For the whole cruise, I have never been in the suite when he came by with tea. On those other days, he leaves the finger sandwiches and canapes. But now he serves me tea of my choosing. And finger sandwiches. Ah, life.

After I pick up Bennett, we stroll and listen to the string quartet and wander the shops. We go to dinner in the dining room. We go to the mad deck sale where I am glad I have waited to order the DVD as in this half-hour I can get the DVD with a free ship's photo! ;-) And I can book one more spa service for half-price.

And off to our suite to prepare for our last shore excursion, read a book, and fall asleep.

2 comments:

  1. Savor these last days my dears (as will I)! I was all set to learn bridge until you thought it got too complicated. Now I don't know that I want to attempt it. Heading off to lunch dreaming of reflexology and canapes and finger sandwiches and being served tea....love speedy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I just got a gig catering a high tea for a bridge club...talk about six degrees....NOT!! But gimme the lowdown on the foodie assortment for your tea and make sure one last time to try and be in your cabin for same! And have you been recording the events of this voyage in your charming little BOAC Junior Jet Club book in addition to your Sheila Share blog? (see, I've read every word!) Just wondering if the past was meeting the present in this journey? Much LOVE, glynne

    ReplyDelete